LED lighting is a simple way industrial facilities can reduce energy costs and their impact on the environment. Unfortunately, it is estimated that between 80 to 90% of lighting units currently in use are high-energy usage High-Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs like metal halide, mercury vapor, and high-pressure sodium. Even incandescent and fluorescent lighting are still commonly in use.
Next gen LED technology uses at least half the energy to produce as bright lighting, or more so, than traditional lighting. LEDs also last longer, resulting in lower replacement and maintenance costs. Some LEDs can run up to 100,000 hours. It’s more than twice as long as metal halide and sodium vapor lights.
Using the next gen LED technology in industrial facilities comes with more benefits than reduced costs and energy efficiency. The energy-efficient technology also benefits the environment.
No matter the type of lighting you have in your facility, Next Gen LEDs can offer you significant cost savings. We have an entire series LED vs Other Lamps, that offers you unique benefits based of the type of lamps you are switching from. Find your current lighting here, along with your potential Next Gen LED benefits.
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
Did you know close to half of our carbon footprint is caused by gas, coal, and nuclear power plants? LEDs are up to 80% more energy-efficient than traditional lighting. For example, metal halides and high-pressure sodium bulbs use a large percentage of energy consumed to output heat instead of light. In comparison, next gen LED technology only produces 5% released heat. The remaining 95% percent is light.
LEDs do not have a warm-up time, like traditional lighting. The warm-up period also uses energy. HID lights become even less efficient over time, requiring more energy to produce light. With an estimated 17% of an industrial facility’s electrical usage devoted to lighting, companies see lower profits. It’s also not healthy for the environment.
Using Less Energy Has Additional Benefits
Taking advantage of LED technology for industrial facilities reduces demand from power plants, translating into a reduction in greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases are responsible for trapping heat in the atmosphere, gradually warming the planet.
An example of a greenhouse gas is carbon dioxide. It enters the atmosphere when methane is produced from burning fossil fuels. Nitrous oxide can also be released, and the gases can stay in the atmosphere anywhere from a couple to thousands of years.
LEDs for industrial facilities release lower amounts of carbon dioxide. While an incandescent bulb releases around 4,500 pounds of CO2 annually, next gen LEDs only contribute around 451 pounds of the gas each year.
Converting an industrial facility to next gen LED lighting can have a significant impact on the environment.
Benefits of Using LED Technology in Industrial Facilities
Along with environmental and energy-saving benefits, next gen LED technology has a few other advantages.
Use Fewer Light Bulbs
LEDs focus light in a single direction, unlike traditional bulbs that spread the light around. Industrial facilities can get the same level of brightness using fewer bulbs. Not only does the reduction in energy consumption benefit the environment, but also the company’s bottom line.
Next Gen LEDs Run Cooler
Unlike traditional bulbs that emit energy as heat, LEDs run cooler. The bulbs typically only produce around 5% of the energy used as heat. When industrial facilities add smart controls like dimming sensors, energy usage is further reduced. It can also extend the bulb’s lifespan.
LEDs are Mercury-Free
Since LEDs do not contain mercury, the bulbs are 100% recyclable. LEDs reduce the amount of waste entering landfills, reducing facilities’ recycling costs. The lack of mercury also benefits the health and safety of your staff since they are not handling hazardous materials.
Free from UV Radiation
HIDS typically emit UV radiation and require special filters to meet safety standards. Skin damage, energy depletion, and eye damage can occur without the filters. The radiation can also worsen symptoms associated with lupus.
LEDs are a healthier alternative and their lack of UV radiation is one of the reasons the bulbs are commonly used in areas storing sensitive documents like archives and museums.
Long-lasting and Durable Next Gen LED Lighting
Using LEDs for industrial facilities reduces replacement and maintenance costs. The bulbs are durable and can survive corrosion, vibrations, and moisture without damage. The bulbs help keep employees safe, while also reducing your contribution to landfills.
The benefits industrial facilities get with next gen LED technology are difficult to ignore. To speak with one of our lighting specialist today about Next Gen LED technology for your industrial facility, call 610-558-9773, emailing [email protected], or schedule a call that fits your needs by clicking the button below.