LED Office Lighting Fixtures
Some office buildings boast large windows and skylights that allow for plenty of natural light. Unfortunately, this doesn’t apply to all buildings. Even ones with lots of natural light will still need to supplement.
The three primary types of indoor office lighting are incandescent, fluorescent, and LED.
Incandescent Office Lighting
Incandescent luminaires are typically found in older buildings. While these bulbs produce their full-lumen output faster than fluorescent lights, they are not energy-efficient, burn at a higher temperature, and use more energy. Incandescent bulbs also have a shorter lifespan than other types of lighting.
New offices occasionally use incandescent bulbs in accent and task lighting.
Please Note: As of August 2023, the Biden administration has fully enforced the ban on incandescent lighting.
While there are a few incandescent bulbs still available, they are mainly going to be for specialized accent lighting. In our blog, LED vs. Incandescent, we look at the comparable facts of why the incandescent has been banned in the US and around the world.
Fluorescent Office Lighting
Fluorescent office lighting may seem a better option the incandescent. Fluorescent tubes can last up to 20 times longer, burn at a cooler temperature, and have a high lumens output.
The downside is the bulbs contain hazardous mercury and are not considered environmentally friendly. Getting rid of fluorescent tubes can be difficult and expensive.
You typically find fluorescent luminaires as either T8 or T5 tubes due to their ease of installation.
Do you still have fluorescent lighting in your office? Are you considering an LED upgrade? Start here with our blog, Fluorescent Tubes vs. LED, as we take a deep-dive into your potential savings.
LED Office Lighting
LEDs are the best option for office lighting for several reasons.
- LEDs are long-lasting, typically anywhere from 25,000 to 100,000 hours, and run at cooler temperatures. LEDs also retain their output quality throughout their life. The bulbs will not gradually grow dim.
- Even though LEDs have the lowest wattage, they have a high lumens output. The bulbs’ long lifespan and energy efficiency make up for their higher cost.
- Versatility is often crucial in office settings. LEDs are available in multiple models like bulbs, tubes, rope lighting, and more.
Types of Office Lighting Fixtures
Before choosing a type of office lighting, consider which factors are important. These may include cost, output, or energy consumption.
Flat Panel LED Fixtures
Flat panel LED fixtures are installed in the ceiling. The fixtures can produce enough light for larger spaces. Since the fixtures are out-of-sight they can give the space a clean, uncluttered appearance that may be less distracting to employees.
You can typically find flat-panel LED lights in three sizes.
- Rectangular: (1×4) LED flat panel
- Rectangular: (2×4) LED flat panel
- Square: (2×2) LED flat panel
After deciding on the shape, it’s time to consider the configuration.
- Edge-Lit Panels: Featuring a thinner profile, these flat-panel LED office fixtures cost a bit more and use more power than other types of LED office lighting.
- Back-Lit Panels: The LEDs are positioned behind the frame instead of the edge, enabling them to shine right through the diffuser. Back-lit panels are less expensive than edge-lit panels, making them the more popular choice.
Not sure which type of flat panel LED would be best for your office space? Have you read, LED Back Lit vs. LED Edge Lit Panels? We offer a comprehensive overview of the different fixtures, including graphics, benefits and disadvantages.
Suspended Office Lighting
Sometimes, you want the office to have a nuanced light source. Suspended office lighting produces a more diffused light that can help prevent eye strain and headaches. The fixtures still produce enough light for work tasks and you can choose from multiple styles.
Recessed Office Lighting
Recessed light fixtures are another common type of office lighting. The fixtures are installed at evenly spaced intervals to ensure light is shining evenly in the space. Recessed lighting can be installed in the ceilings, walls, or anywhere there is an opening and you want a downward-pointing light.
Office Lighting for Drop Ceilings
A common question we receive from consumers is what type of lighting fixture works best in offices with drop ceilings. At Action Services Group, we typically recommend two types.
- Troffer Light Fixtures: Troffer light fixtures illuminate indoor spaces and are placed in T-bar ceilings, grid ceilings, or suspended ceilings. They can be laid into a ceiling grid that is recessed and sit above the grid but can also be suspended or surface-mounted.
- LED Flat Panel Lights: This is the most common type of lighting fixture in warehouse lighting as well as office spaces. Flat panel light fixtures are installed behind ceiling tiles.
Office Lighting Upgrades with Action Services Group
To learn more about LED office lighting contact Action Services Group today. We will explain the various lighting products and make recommendations so you can choose the right one for your office lighting upgrade.